Wednesday, 18 April 2012 17:00
With the latest environment permit agreed upon by SM Group and various non-government environment protection organizations, Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Jesse Robredo on Monday announced that no more pine trees will be cut once SM Baguio implements its expansion program.
Under the new permit, SM Baguio will be allowed to ball the 182 trees covered under the expansion plan or 40 more than stipulated in the original which calls for the cutting of the remaining 40 trees in the 1.1 hectare-expansion zone.
This consensus was reached during a multi-sectoral meeting held at Philippine National Police headquarters in Camp Rafael Crame Monday afternoon.
Robredo said that amendment of the old permit would mean that 40 trees will be given a chance to live.
He added that this permit also instructs to plant 50,000 trees in three years time or 45,000 more than the original 5,000 stipulated earlier.
The DILG chief said that new trees can be planted in either Baguio or Benguet.
He is hopeful that SM would comply with the conditions set by the new permit.
Pro-environment groups scored SM Baguio for its supposed plan to cut 182 trees to expand its premises.
- 19/04/2012 12:07 - SC refers to IBP disbarment raps vs. De Lima, Lacierda
- 18/04/2012 17:05 - Aquino considers another nominee for Ambassador to China
- 18/04/2012 17:04 - Casiño to Noynoy: “We may not begoing to war, but we must defend our rights and sovereignty!”
- 18/04/2012 17:01 - Tuition fee hike of not more than 5% is manageable - DepEd
- 18/04/2012 17:01 - MRDP to hold PO gab
- 18/04/2012 17:00 - Mindanaoans hold cultural protest vs. RP-US Balikatan
- 18/04/2012 16:59 - Sun offers more payment channels forsubscribers
- 18/04/2012 16:57 - Korean-American selected to lead World Bank
- 18/04/2012 16:56 - Questions to reflect on and a call to respond Statement of the Interfaith Council of Leaders – Zamboanga City
- 17/04/2012 00:00 - Iranian nuclear talks resulted in positive achievements - Chinese representative