Wednesday, 18 April 2012 17:01
The Mindanao Rural Development Program (MRDP) will be hosting this year’s biggest gathering of people’s organizations (PO) in Mindanao.
Dubbed as MRDP PO Congress, the said activity which coincides with the annual farmers’ month celebration will be conducted on May 11 in Davao City and will attended by around one thousand PO beneficiaries of the program.
MRDP is a poverty-alleviation initiative of the Department of Agriculture (DA) jointly funded by the World Bank, national government, and local government units covering Mindanao’s 26 provinces and 225 municipalities. It seeks to further improve rural incomes and achieve food security through agri-fishery infrastructure, livelihood enterprise, and biodiversity conservation projects.
Through the Community Fund for Agricultural Development (CFAD), MRDP had been providing livelihood project such as food production, aqua culture, food processing and small-scale rural infrastructure.
MRDP program director Lealyn Ramos said providing POs with livelihood projects complements the Aquino’s administration goal of promoting inclusive growth where fruits of developments will benefit a broader segment of the society especially the poor.
“MRDP livelihood projects follows a community-demand driven approach (CDD) where PO-beneficiaries are guided to choose projects that addresses their felt needs and at the same time provide them sustainable income,” she said.
Ramos said several PO have already shown success in their livelihood projects.
Rice farmers in Kumalarang, Zamboang del Sur and Bansalan, Davao del Sur have liberated themselves from trader-lenders after they were provide modest funding from the Program.
While some cassava farmers in Kapalong, Davao del Norte have expanded their production which led some of the PO members to buy parcels of land to expand their farm lots and even buy “multicab” vehicle.
“The PO Congress will highlight sharing and learning experiences that strengthens community institutions as a vehicle to spur economic activities at the barangay level and sharing common visions for Mindanao,” MRDP Director Lealyn Ramos said.(Ma. Lucille A. Branzuela/DAMRDP)
- 19/04/2012 12:08 - BIR loses in P600-M tax case vs Petron
- 19/04/2012 12:07 - SC refers to IBP disbarment raps vs. De Lima, Lacierda
- 18/04/2012 17:05 - Aquino considers another nominee for Ambassador to China
- 18/04/2012 17:04 - Casiño to Noynoy: “We may not begoing to war, but we must defend our rights and sovereignty!”
- 18/04/2012 17:01 - Tuition fee hike of not more than 5% is manageable - DepEd
- 18/04/2012 17:00 - No more pine trees to be cut in SM expansion plan - Robredo
- 18/04/2012 17:00 - Mindanaoans hold cultural protest vs. RP-US Balikatan
- 18/04/2012 16:59 - Sun offers more payment channels forsubscribers
- 18/04/2012 16:57 - Korean-American selected to lead World Bank
- 18/04/2012 16:56 - Questions to reflect on and a call to respond Statement of the Interfaith Council of Leaders – Zamboanga City