Wednesday, 18 April 2012 17:04
Partylist Rep. Teddy Casiño reacted strongly on the statement of Pres.Benigno Aquino III saying that the Chinese poachers who illegally caught endangered species of our marine resources in Panatag (Scarborough) shoal were freed and their illegal catch not confiscated because we’re not going to war against China and the President wants to ease the tension between the two countries.
“What the Chinese did was deplorable and an infringement on our sovereignty, we have every right to detain them and confiscate their catch.They were poaching in our territorial waters, for crying out loud! This shouldbe no different from the Vietnamese who were recently apprehended catchingmarine turtles in our waters. Now they are under Philippine custody and theircatch confiscated,” said the progressive lawmaker.
“With Pres. Aquino’s statement the Chinese will be more brazen inentering our territory and poaching on our waters. This will make us look likea push over in the international community and would engender a culture ofimpunity on the Chinese and other claimants in the Spratly’s to do as theyplease because we do not want anytension,” he added.
“We also do not want to go to war, but we must assert our sovereignty,thorugh whatever means we can. The Chinese might be bullying us but we muststand our ground. We must have our dignity as a nation intact; it is with thisthat our ASEAN friends will see that we are on a moral and righteous highground and come to our aid,” the solon stressed.
“In this light we are filing a resolution expressing the sense of the Houseof Representatives assailing China for its actions and calling for an investigationinto the incident. Bayan Muna is also set to picket the Chinese Embassy thisweek,” Casiño ended.
- 20/04/2012 16:34 - President awards UZ student as champion in speech tilt
- 19/04/2012 12:12 - Pacquiao shows old form on first day of training in Baguio City
- 19/04/2012 12:08 - BIR loses in P600-M tax case vs Petron
- 19/04/2012 12:07 - SC refers to IBP disbarment raps vs. De Lima, Lacierda
- 18/04/2012 17:05 - Aquino considers another nominee for Ambassador to China
- 18/04/2012 17:01 - Tuition fee hike of not more than 5% is manageable - DepEd
- 18/04/2012 17:01 - MRDP to hold PO gab
- 18/04/2012 17:00 - No more pine trees to be cut in SM expansion plan - Robredo
- 18/04/2012 17:00 - Mindanaoans hold cultural protest vs. RP-US Balikatan
- 18/04/2012 16:59 - Sun offers more payment channels forsubscribers