Friday, 20 April 2012 16:37
Malacanang made an assurance Wednesday that it would come up with a well-defined mining policy soon after having extensive consultations with mining stakeholders.
“We can expect it soon. There are just a few more notes that need to go between some of the departments and then that should be out in a relatively short amount of time. We understand the concerns and it is exactly what we are trying to come up with -- a well-defined mining policy from which will flow specific actions,” Secretary Ramon Carandang of the Presidential Communications Development and Strategic Planning Office (PCDSPO) said in a press conference in Malacanang.
The Chamber of Mines of the Philippines claimed that the mining industry lost significant amount of mining investments last year because of the absence of new mining policy in the country.
Inconsistent mining policy has been a problem in the country in the past several years and Carandang said the administration wants to have definitive mining guidelines that will boost the local mining industry and attract more investments.
He mentioned the ongoing discussions on a general mining policy that could entail creation of an executive order (EO) or a change in the law.
“All of these are possible but all of the actions must stem from the general policy which will be released shortly…hopefully, very soon,” he said.
“I think the policy will give you a clear direction and before anything else I think kailangang linawin natin sa mga namumuhunan sa mining industry kung ano ba talaga ‘yung direksyon na gusto ng administrasyon pagdating sa mining.”
While saying it’s too early to say if the administration will prioritize the mining measure, Carandang made an assurance that the discussion on the mining guideline will be inclusive.
“One of the things that we also want to do is to make sure that this discussion, this policy has the approval of the stakeholders,” Carandang said.
- 21/04/2012 12:02 - COA, OMB join forces in fight vs. graft and corruption
- 21/04/2012 11:58 - Cebu Pacific pioneers direct Philippines-Cambodia route Launches thrice weekly Manila - Siem Reap flights
- 21/04/2012 11:58 - Celebrate the Language of Movement U.S. Embassy Manila Launches Sayaw! Dance Challenge
- 21/04/2012 11:57 - 2-day golf tourney kicks off today
- 21/04/2012 11:57 - Sun Cellular launches mobile landline plan in Cebu
- 20/04/2012 16:37 - DepEd-ARMM generates P162-M savings
- 20/04/2012 16:36 - Zamboanga del Norte in full preparation for Hudyaka 2012
- 20/04/2012 16:36 - Aquino appoints new government officials
- 20/04/2012 16:35 - Nurturing summer of service 2012
- 20/04/2012 16:35 - Sun Cellular launches mobile landline plan in Cebu