Wednesday, 25 April 2012 12:23
Senator Gregorio ‘Gringo’ Honasan on Monday renewed his call to Chief Justice Renato Corona to take the witness stand to defend himself from the articles of impeachment complaints.
Honasan made his comment as the Social Weather Station (SWS) released a survey which showed that 63 percent of the Filipinos think Corona has hidden wealth "based on the undeclared money and assets in his Statements of Assets, Liabilities and Net worth (SALN)."
”I believe now more firmly that it is only the Chief Justice who can answer many issues and questions,” Honasan said in a media interview.
The senator-judge said if Corona will not face the impeachment trial, the people will just continue to doubt and form opinions in their hearts and minds that Corona is indeed hiding something based on their limited information.
”The judgment in the form of opinions in the hearts and minds of the people is persistent and it is only the Chief Justice who can answer that,” Honasan said.
Honasan, however, appealed to the people as well as to those who conduct surveys to allow the Senate, sitting as impeachment court, to allow first the defense to finish its presentation of counter evidence.
”For me, based on the sequence, I will let the defense to finish first its presentation so that we will not be judged that we are already making judgment,” Honasan said.
When the impeachment trial resumes on May 7, Honasan said he wanted to hear more from the defense as well as from Corona himself about his SALN and bank accounts which the prosecution said contained a lot of discrepancies.
Honasan also said that he is saddened that a Chief Justice of the country is ousted through impeachment trial, the first in the country.
”I said before that it is hurting for one country that a chief justice himself is being ousted,” Honasan said.
- 30/04/2012 14:53 - DND says PHL committed to developing its 'maritime domain awareness capability'
- 30/04/2012 14:52 - Central Visayas retains title in 2012 PRISAA national games
- 30/04/2012 14:51 - Hot weather prevails over Luzon; LPA brings flashfloods, landslides in Mindanao - PAGASA
- 26/04/2012 11:41 - China's island plan violates sovereignty
- 26/04/2012 11:40 - 33 disasters in the PHL in 2011, the highest worldwide - CRED
- 25/04/2012 12:21 - Luistro: Problems on textbooks, classrooms will be resolved before opening of 2012 classes in June
- 25/04/2012 12:20 - Another Maguindanao massacre suspect falls
- 25/04/2012 12:15 - Rotary club of Basilan receives awards
- 24/04/2012 12:39 - Iran says it's building copy of captured US drone
- 24/04/2012 12:39 - Labor groups unite to advance unions and workers' rights