Monday, 30 April 2012 14:53
MANILA - As the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) modernization slowly gains momentum, Department of National Defense (DND) Spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez said that the country is committed in acquiring equipment that will further develop its "maritime domain awareness capability."
According to him, this can be done through the acquisition of up-to-date surface-and-air search radars, sufficient number of modern patrol naval craft, and long-range maritime surveillance aircraft.
"We are acquiring these equipment to know who are entering and leaving our waters. By detecting them, we can now determine what their intentions are," Galvez said.
He stressed that this is being done right now with over 138 military contracts expected to be signed in July.
Galvez added that the AFP is in exciting stage right now as it is starting to receive some of the modern equipment it earlier ordered, like the four W3-A Sokol combat utility helicopters, Hamilton-class cutters, of which one -- the BRP Gregorio Del Pilar -- is now in active service. Another one is on the way to Manila before the end of May alongside with force protection equipment, modern communication systems and transports.
Soon, the country is also acquiring its first-ever multi-role combat aircraft whose performance is similar to the United States' F-16 "Falcon," the DND spokesperson said.
"We are gradually building up our equipment so that we can adequately protect our maritime borders and territory," Galvez emphasized.
- 02/05/2012 14:23 - Get ready for a 'Sun-ny' summer with Sun cellular
- 02/05/2012 14:22 - Australian billionaire plans to build Titanic II
- 02/05/2012 14:19 - U.S., Philippines identify strategic objectives
- 30/04/2012 14:54 - Aboitiz-Amore partnership brings solar power to small communities
- 30/04/2012 14:53 - U.S., PHL defense, foreign affairs officials to discuss alliance
- 30/04/2012 14:52 - Central Visayas retains title in 2012 PRISAA national games
- 30/04/2012 14:51 - Hot weather prevails over Luzon; LPA brings flashfloods, landslides in Mindanao - PAGASA
- 26/04/2012 11:41 - China's island plan violates sovereignty
- 26/04/2012 11:40 - 33 disasters in the PHL in 2011, the highest worldwide - CRED
- 25/04/2012 12:23 - Honasan urges Corona to take the witness stand