Wednesday, 02 May 2012 14:28
DAVAO CITY – Communist insurgents attacked a group of government soldiers and killing an infantryman and wounded 7 more in new wave of offensive in the southern Philippines.
The Philippine Army’s 10th Infantry Division on Sunday confirmed the attack on the soldiers in the village called Golden Valley in the town of Mabini in Compostela Valley province.
Lt. Col. Jerry Borja, commander of the 71st Infantry Battalion, said the assault occurred at around 8.30 p.m. on Saturday while the soldiers were heading to the village where New People’s Army rebels were reported harassing residents.
He said one soldier died and that 7 others were wounded in the blast.
“The use of landmine by the NPA is another violation on the provisions of the international human rights law. The use of landmines does not only harm the soldiers, but the civilians as well, who are most vulnerable to landmines since they just go about their routine works,” Borja said.
“We grieve for losing another hero, but this will not affect our commitment to bring peace and development in all communities. This will push us to do more to win the peace and help improve the lives of the people in order to give justice to the life laid by another soldier by serving the people,” he added.
The NPA is fighting for decades in its attempt to install a Maoist state in the largely Catholic nation. Communist insurgency in the Philippines is one of Asia’s longest since 1969.
by: Mindanao Examiner
- 04/05/2012 13:12 - Aquino declares the month of May of every year as electrical safety month
- 04/05/2012 13:12 - Malacanang welcomes Washington-based organization’s report ranking Philippines highest in press freedom Southeast Asia
- 04/05/2012 13:10 - Aquino hopes to export high-grade rice next year; bares allotment to improve agriculture harvest
- 04/05/2012 13:10 - Aquino enumerates four strats to address unemployment
- 03/05/2012 16:52 - Young Zamboangeña bags 2nd Runner Up Trophy in Faldo Series
- 02/05/2012 14:27 - Cops identified 2 suspects in Koronadal radioman slay
- 02/05/2012 14:27 - Pacquiao faces more rigid sparring with Russians; Jessica Sanchez among those being considered to sing 'Lupang Hinirang'
- 02/05/2012 14:23 - Get ready for a 'Sun-ny' summer with Sun cellular
- 02/05/2012 14:22 - Australian billionaire plans to build Titanic II
- 02/05/2012 14:19 - U.S., Philippines identify strategic objectives