Thursday, 03 May 2012 16:52
San Pedro, Laguna -- Local girl Kristine Nicole Fleetwood finished third in her division during the recent Fifth Faldo Series Philippines Championship held in TAT Filipinas Golf and Country Club last April 24-26 which is also the opening event of the 2012/2013 Faldo Series Asia season.
Nicole's win came in as a surprise since the Faldo competition was her mere second try at golf after having placed sixth in the girl's division Class D of the national qualifying tournament for the Junior World Championship held at the Manila Southwoods Golf and Country Club the previous week. She is new at the great game of golf but is fortunate to have been vigorously trained by Zamboanga Golf and Country Club Pro Mark Fernando coupled with an early exposure from her mother Ms Jessica Ignacio who has been acing golf tournaments in Malaysia and the support and encouragement of her father Dewey G. Fleetwood.
Young players aged 12 to 21 competed in more than 54 holes to qualify for the Faldo Series Asia Grand Finals in China. Kristine Nicole, who is 9 year-old, was pitted against veteran young golfers in Class D, the youngest among the five age categories in the tournament.
Faldo Series named after its creator, the renowned golfer Sir Nick Faldo, was established in 1996 to provide better opportunity to young people through golf and to grow the next generation of champion golfers. There are more than 7,000 participants contending in 38 tournaments taking place in 28 countries throughout the world. Faldo graduates include big names in golf like Rory McIlroy, Nick Dougherty, Melissa Reid and Yani Tseng.
Nicole considers the 2nd Runner Up win as the biggest achievement yet in her young life and would like to bring greater honor to the City when she joins the Sixth Faldo Series next year.
- 04/05/2012 13:19 - BSP backs global unified credit ratings
- 04/05/2012 13:12 - Aquino declares the month of May of every year as electrical safety month
- 04/05/2012 13:12 - Malacanang welcomes Washington-based organization’s report ranking Philippines highest in press freedom Southeast Asia
- 04/05/2012 13:10 - Aquino hopes to export high-grade rice next year; bares allotment to improve agriculture harvest
- 04/05/2012 13:10 - Aquino enumerates four strats to address unemployment
- 02/05/2012 14:28 - Blast kills soldier, 7 more wounded in Southern Philippine
- 02/05/2012 14:27 - Cops identified 2 suspects in Koronadal radioman slay
- 02/05/2012 14:27 - Pacquiao faces more rigid sparring with Russians; Jessica Sanchez among those being considered to sing 'Lupang Hinirang'
- 02/05/2012 14:23 - Get ready for a 'Sun-ny' summer with Sun cellular
- 02/05/2012 14:22 - Australian billionaire plans to build Titanic II