Friday, 04 May 2012 13:12
President Benigno S. Aquino III has declared the month of May of every year as Electrical Safety Month to increase public awareness on electrical safety and educate the people on the safe use of electrical appliances and gadgets.
The Chief Executive issued the declaration in Proclamation No. 193 signed by Executive Secretary Paquito N. Ochoa, Jr. on June 27, to “amplify and reinforce the consciousness of the public on electrical safety.”
The President said that many lives and properties are lost due to fires and electrocution.
“The main reason for the occurrence of fires and electrocution from electrical causes is not faulty wiring but ignorance in the use of electrical appliances and gadgets such as overloading of electrical outlets and the use of counterfeit electrical products such as circuit breakers, power strips, extension cords, batteries and holiday lights that can cause fires, explosions, shocks, and electrocutions,” he said.
He pointed out that the economic losses brought about by fires contribute to reduced productivity and therefore affect the country’s economy.
He further said that the Bureau of Product Standards (BPS) which is under the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) serves as the National Standards Body of the Philippines, with the mandate to develop, promulgate, implement and coordinate standardization activities regarding electrical products.
According to the President, the Institute of Integrated Electrical Engineers of the Philippines, Inc. (IIEE) has entered into an agreement with the Singapore-based International Copper Association-Southeast Asia (ICA-SEA), a non-profit organization, to conduct electrical safety awareness campaign in the country.
“The agreement also aims to provide the opportunity to share best practices and help establish good standard in electrical system in the Philippines,” he added.
The President, likewise, directed the IIEE and BPS to conduct programs and activities on electrical safety throughout the year subject to the approval of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).
- 08/05/2012 13:07 - Enrile wants eight-hour impeachment trial each day
- 08/05/2012 13:03 - 10-year-old record in long jump broken at the start of the Palarong Pambansa
- 05/05/2012 11:55 - Palace says Philippines able to relax tension in Panatag Shoal
- 05/05/2012 11:54 - Palace renews commitment to protect media practitioners, ensures press freedom
- 04/05/2012 13:19 - BSP backs global unified credit ratings
- 04/05/2012 13:12 - Malacanang welcomes Washington-based organization’s report ranking Philippines highest in press freedom Southeast Asia
- 04/05/2012 13:10 - Aquino hopes to export high-grade rice next year; bares allotment to improve agriculture harvest
- 04/05/2012 13:10 - Aquino enumerates four strats to address unemployment
- 03/05/2012 16:52 - Young Zamboangeña bags 2nd Runner Up Trophy in Faldo Series
- 02/05/2012 14:28 - Blast kills soldier, 7 more wounded in Southern Philippine