Tuesday, 08 May 2012 13:03
LINGAYEN, Pangasinan — A 10-year-old record in long jump in the Palarong Pambansa was shattered early Sunday when a 17-year-old athlete from Region II set a new record after leaping a distance of 7.26 meters.
Julian Fuentes, a fourth year student of the Dona Josefa Edralin Marcos High School in Cordon, Isabela, erased the record established by Paolo Martinez of Southern Tagalog in the 2002 Palarong Pambansa to ensnare his delegation's first gold medal.
Fuentes’ record-breaking performance came at the start of hostilities of the 2012 Palarong Pambansa at the Narciso Ramos Sports and Civic Center (NRSCC) in Lingayen.
All other games already started in other playing venues in Lingayen, Dagupan and San Carlos cities as well as Binmaley and Calasiao although the opening ceremonies are yet set on Monday, with President Benigno S. Aquino III as guest of honor and speaker.
The other early gold medal winner was Evalyn Palabrica of Region VI who threw the javelin to a distance of 39.69 meters.
Palabrica, who collected the first gold medal for Region VI, is a second year high school student of the Dela Paz National High School in Iloilo City.
Some 10,000 athletes in the elementary and high school divisions are seeing action in the Palarong Pambansa hosted for the second time since 1995 by the province of Pangasinan headed by Governor Amado Espino Jr.
Later in the day, Department of Education Secretary Armin Luistro reiterated that DepEd and the provincial government of Pangasinan will work together to make this year’s Palaro as the benchmark of all future events.
He said this is the first Palaro ever that is clean and green and most high tech where plastic and styrofoams are discouraged in all the venues as well as the billeting areas.
Proof of this, he said, is the fact that the athletes brought in their own utensils and plates and frown on plastics and styrofoams.
- 09/05/2012 12:32 - VP Binay: Police should be held accountable for 'humiliating' former Senate Pres. Salonga
- 09/05/2012 12:25 - Police crime syndicates & meat smuggling
- 09/05/2012 12:24 - High-tech ways the federal gov't is spying on private citizens
- 09/05/2012 12:23 - Greater tasks ahead after Nonong Jalosjos' declaration
- 08/05/2012 13:07 - Enrile wants eight-hour impeachment trial each day
- 05/05/2012 11:55 - Palace says Philippines able to relax tension in Panatag Shoal
- 05/05/2012 11:54 - Palace renews commitment to protect media practitioners, ensures press freedom
- 04/05/2012 13:19 - BSP backs global unified credit ratings
- 04/05/2012 13:12 - Aquino declares the month of May of every year as electrical safety month
- 04/05/2012 13:12 - Malacanang welcomes Washington-based organization’s report ranking Philippines highest in press freedom Southeast Asia