Tuesday, 08 May 2012 13:07
In a bid to finish the impeachment trial of Chief Justice Renato Corona within this month, Senate President-Presiding Judge Juan Ponce Enrile said he will propose to both the prosecution and defense panels an eight-hour hearing each day.
”I will propose to the lawyers of both the prosecution and defense to finish this case before this month ends and if they will agree, we can start at 2 p.m. up to 10 p.m.,” Enrile said on Sunday, a day before the resumption of the trial after a one-month Lenten break of the two houses of Congress.
Enrile said he will make his suggestion due to many proposed measures that have already been affected by the impeachment trial which started last January 17.
The veteran lawmaker said he will also talk to his fellow senator-judges about his proposal even as he reiterated that he would not allow delaying tactics as the defense panel continues its presentation of witnesses and evidences on Monday.
”They should be ready. I will now allow delays. We have no trial for one month and they should have studied the case very well,” said the 88-year-old Enrile, who has earned commendation for handling the trial fair and square.
Last Thursday, Senate Majority Leader Vicente Sotto III said a caucus will be held at noon on Monday to tackle the motions filed by both camps during the Senate break.
Meanwhile, Enrile said it’s now up to the defense if they would bring to the witness stand the accused Chief Justice.
”It’s now up to the lawyers if they will present CJ,” Enrile said.
Corona is accused of betrayal of public trust, culpable violation of the Constitution and graft and corruption.
- 09/05/2012 12:33 - Senator-judges poised to finish impeachment trial before June 7
- 09/05/2012 12:32 - VP Binay: Police should be held accountable for 'humiliating' former Senate Pres. Salonga
- 09/05/2012 12:25 - Police crime syndicates & meat smuggling
- 09/05/2012 12:24 - High-tech ways the federal gov't is spying on private citizens
- 09/05/2012 12:23 - Greater tasks ahead after Nonong Jalosjos' declaration
- 08/05/2012 13:03 - 10-year-old record in long jump broken at the start of the Palarong Pambansa
- 05/05/2012 11:55 - Palace says Philippines able to relax tension in Panatag Shoal
- 05/05/2012 11:54 - Palace renews commitment to protect media practitioners, ensures press freedom
- 04/05/2012 13:19 - BSP backs global unified credit ratings
- 04/05/2012 13:12 - Aquino declares the month of May of every year as electrical safety month