Thursday, 02 May 2013 00:00
(Statement of JESUS G. DUREZA, President/CEO of Advocacy Mindanow Foundation, Inc. He was former Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process and GRP Panel Spokesman in the Talks with CPP/NPA/NDF.)
I read statements coming from Malacanang saying the peace talks with the CPP/NPA/NDF had collapsed. This is a mistake.
This reminds me of what President Ramos told us years ago when our Philippine panel was in the Netherlands while meeting with the group of JOMA SISON and LOUIE JALANDONI. I was then Congress’ representative to the GRP panel and spokesman. It was then headed by former Vatican Ambassador Howard Dee. The positions of the two sides were so irreconcilable at that time that the Philippine team started packing up our bags to fly back home. We even had a shouting match across the table with the NDF. Secretary Bebot Bello, then a panel member made a direct overseas call to President Ramos to report that the talks broke down and collapsed and that we were heading home. Over the speakerphone, FVR angrily barked: “Goddammit, who authorized you to collapse the talks? Go back to the table and continue to talk!” And so we did.
In the search for peace, government, which has the high moral ground, must NEVER give up or throw in the towel. The President of the Republic is the father of all, rebels included. Under the principle of “pater familias”, he must get all his flock, whether good or bad, under his protective wings. He must balance things. Of course OPAPP officials can give the true and accurate status. But the “principal” who is the President must continue to provide hope and optimism. And not close doors.
Yes, we can SUSPEND the talks, but never declare that it has collapsed. Otherwise, the alternative is heightened INSURGENCY. Or more conflict.
Unfortunately, the plain ordinary and vulnerable citizens in the countryside will always be the first victims caught in the crossfire.
My unsolicited advice: Keep on talking, however difficult or long it will take. Better talk than fight! Saliva doesn’t kill. Bullets do! -30-
By Jess Dureza
- 08/06/2013 13:42 - Replace BOC officers now!
- 04/06/2013 20:10 - Here’s why men and women become gay
- 04/05/2013 14:41 - Kris Aquino is right: tourists mean jobs
- 04/05/2013 14:39 - Celebrating half of my Life in the Philippines as an Adventure of Hope
- 04/05/2013 14:30 - Point of clarification on CPAF manifesto
- 01/05/2013 00:00 - KAKAMPI KO ANG BATAS By Atty. Batas Mauricio
- 01/05/2013 00:00 - VIABLE OPTION By: Bro. Paeng Santos
- 30/04/2013 14:53 - Politicians keeping many Filipinos poor
- 30/04/2013 14:52 - Abu Sayyaf, a monstrous murderers and kidnappers
- 30/04/2013 14:51 - Wake up! As Beng Climaco says, “Vaya Con Dios”