My Google Page Rank

Ombudsman must explain inaction on pork scam

PDFPrintE-mail

LIFE’S INSPIRATIONS: “… There are those who turn justice into bitterness and cast righteousness to the ground…” (Amos 5:7, the Holy Bible).

PLUNDER RAPS VS. SENATORS NOT FILED YET?Hey, wait a minute! I mean, I thought all along that Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales already filed the plunder charges against Senators Juan Ponce Enrile, Jinggoy Estrada, and Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. sometime last April 01, 2014 yet, when announcements were made that it already found enough evidence to charge the three in connection with the P10 billion pork barrel scam.

What’s this that Morales told reporters at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport last Saturday, 17 May 2014, while she was preparing to fly to the US to attend a two-week conference on corruption, that, even now, the charges have not really been filed yet, and the filing of the cases against the three before the Sandiganbayan will have to wait for another two weeks?

Well, don’t get me wrong! I am not rooting for the charges to be filed, vocal as I had always been, in my columns and radio programs, that Enrile, Estrada, and Revilla are being sued with a non-bailable crime by the Aquino government only as a political strategy to stop them from running in 2016 to fight President Aquino’s candidate for the presidency.

SHOCKING REVELATION FROM OMBUDSMAN:But then, the impression that Morales and her office had been giving out, from April 01, 2014, was that, it had already filed the charges against the three senators and that the issuance of non-bailable warants of arrest against them was just a matter of time, especially because the Office of the Ombusman said that it found probable cause to indict them for plunder.

Hearing Morales say now that the charges actually had not been filed yet, and may have to wait until the end of May 2014 or even until the first week of June so she could first return to the country from the two-week official function at a US conference, was therefore a shocker as far as I was concerned.

The fact is that, in previous cases where the Ombudsman established probable cause---or the kind of evidence which shows that a crime was committed and that the person or persons who were accused thereof probably committed the crime---the charges were filed with the Sandiganbayan right away, almost at the wink of an eye, without the Ombudsman even waiting for the accused to file a motion for reconsideration.

OMBUDSMAN MUST EXPLAIN INACTION ON PORK SCAM: Now, why did the Ombudsman not follow the swift same process in the case of the three senators? Why did it not file the plunder case against them right away, as it was its practice in other cases which were investigated by it and where it found probable cause to indict the accused before the graft court?

Is there something going on, behind the scenes, that warranted a deviation by the Ombudsman from its usual and routinary procedure? Or, was it simply a manifestation of the Ombudsman’s own hesitation in filing the plunder charges, due to a conviction that the charges would not really stick---in much the same way that the plunder charge against former President Arroyo relative to the so-called P728 million fertilizer fund scam did not also stick?

Or, maybe, it was a simple case of yet another double standard of justice, under the term of Morales? Morales owed it not only to the country and people but, more so, to God, to explain this clear discrepancy in treating the cases that come before it for preliminary investigation.

REMINDERS:Please tune in: “Tambalang Batas at Somintac sa DZEC”, at 1062 kHz on the AM band, Mondays to Fridays, at 6 a.m.; “Kakampi Mo Ang Batas sa Radyo Trabungko FM”, at 103.7 mHz in Don Carlos, Bukidnon, Mondays to Fridays, at 7 a.m.; and “Kakampi Mo Ang Batas sa DYKA” at 801 kHz on the AM band (Panay Island), Mondays to Fridays, at 10 a.m.




Related news items:
Newer news items:
Older news items: