Wednesday, 02 March 2011 14:08
The month of March is the observance of Fire Prevention Month in the whole archipelago. This practice was etched into the Philippine National Calendar by virtue of Presidential Proclamation No. 115-A, signed by the late President Ferdinand E. Marcos on November 17, 1966. The month of March was chosen because it is the driest and hottest season of the year, which eventually rates the highest destructive fire occurrences nationwide. It is, then, fitting and proper to remind ourselves and our community regarding fire safety and prevention.
In our very own City of Zamboanga, an average of 20 Million pesos worth of properties are being destroyed by fire annually. This year this figure escalated because of the Pacific Hardware Fire and Explosion incident last January 28 that caused more or less 50 Million pesos worth of properties. The devastating force of fire truly is greater then what we can ever expect.
The objective of the Annual Fire Prevention Month observance is to enjoin the community to help reduce the rate of fire incidents. If we could only lower this rate to 50% or more, that would entail millions of properties worth being saved annually here in our city alone. The theme for this year “Kahandaan sa sunog…tungo sa Kaunlaran..” says it all.
The kick-off ceremonies was concluded yesterday at the Zamboanga City Fire District quadrangle, Mayor Climaco Ave., and was followed by a motorcade around the City Proper. For the whole month of March, all 11 fire stations city wide are open to public visitation, consultation, and education by our fire fighters on matters regarding fire safety and prevention. A Fire Olympics will also be scheduled this moth to be participated by “all-female” groups. This is the first Pink Fire Brigade Olympics. To the talented young ones, there will also be scheduled Poster Making and Drawing Contest to be participated by Elementary pupils.
May these simple efforts of the Bureau of Fire Protection, Zamboanga City Fire District reach the hearts of the Zamboangueños, and may we all effect a community free from destructive fires. Let us all be advocates of this for a better Zamboanga City.
By Zamboanga City Fire District
- 04/03/2011 12:09 - FOR THE CAUSE
- 04/03/2011 12:09 - “Young people want religion ...but without fanaticism”
- 02/03/2011 14:11 - P-Noy’s Watch: Corruption still exist
- 02/03/2011 14:10 - The glory that is Rome
- 02/03/2011 14:09 - 4 things women should be doing in their fitness training — but aren’t
- 01/03/2011 20:25 - 25 Years of People Power from EDSA Revolution to Daang Matuwid: Lessons in Democratic Life for Our Nation’s Future (A Statement from the Former Senior Government Officials)
- 01/03/2011 20:23 - Rich Woman, Poor Woman
- 01/03/2011 20:21 - Solutions for five common dating ruts
- 28/02/2011 14:12 - Yearning for peace
- 28/02/2011 14:11 - Akbayan says YES to classrooms, NO to Zamcelco corruption