Saturday, 05 March 2011 16:50
The rapid and dramatic political turmoil in African nations not only affects the thousands of overseas Filipino workers who are not only earning their keep but are boosting the Philippine economy, it is also telling on the separatist adventurisms and the condition of terrorist organization in south-western Mindanao. It has never been a secret that these Islamic countries have secretly aided these movements financially. In fact there were times in the past when they virtually make known their support for separatists and terrorist bands to threaten governments like the Philippines to obey their rules and go slow on extremists elements otherwise the oil spigots will be shutdown and more financial and arms will find their way to these bands. For decades now the Philippines have to kowtow to whatever the fancy we have to surrender.
Not anymore. The awakening in Libya, Tunisia, Egypt, Yemen and other Arab countries and fundamentalist Islamic nations like Iran, is changing the rules of the game. The expectation is that the flow of terrorist funds will come to a trickle if not totally cut. The Libyan strongman can no longer set the terms and whatever is left of his influence in belligerent separatists groups and terrorist organization is gone along with his grip and subjugation of Libyan nationals. While we are counting the hours leading to his fall, we are certain that the aid he gives to separatists and terrorist elements like those in Mindanao was already cut as soon as he sensed he has to save his neck first.
We expect kidnap-for-ransom syndicates to raise the frequency of their activities in order to shore up their finances. The separatists elements will have to come to terms with reality that their traditional backers who resides in palaces are themselves threaten by the very monster they themselves created and who are now after their carcass.
The OFWs maybe agonizing, but in some parts of Mindanao, people who are tired of conflicts and terrorism are actually celebrating. Already, some members of terrorist groups have started to leave their comfort zones courtesy of the benefactors from the Middle East and Africa. They are forced to abandon their sanctuaries to scavenge for food in the urban centres. One after the other they fell like their masters in faraway land.
By Menardo Wenceslao
- 08/03/2011 09:58 - Five things you never knew about Pac-Man
- 07/03/2011 14:36 - NUJP-Davao supports filing of cases of Mindanao journalist killings to the UNHRC (Media Statement)
- 07/03/2011 14:34 - Real Democracy
- 07/03/2011 14:34 - Sugary soft drinks linked to increased blood pressure
- 05/03/2011 16:52 - What’s wrong with PH justice system?
- 05/03/2011 16:49 - What is Pulmonary Embolism — Who's at Risk?
- 04/03/2011 12:10 - ‘Drug Mule’ Diplomacy
- 04/03/2011 12:09 - FOR THE CAUSE
- 04/03/2011 12:09 - “Young people want religion ...but without fanaticism”
- 02/03/2011 14:11 - P-Noy’s Watch: Corruption still exist