Sunday, 03 April 2011 20:58
Sometime in the past a soft drink company ran an ad using an old secular song that declared, “Ain’t nothin’ like the real thing, baby,” Of course, the “real thing” to which the advertiser was referring was its own product. Its implication was that you could try all the other colas you wanted, but in the end, nothing would really satisfy your cola craving like this particular drink would.
When we’re spiritually thirsty, we sometimes try different ways to satisfy our souls. We may lack finances and think, if only we had more money, our life would be full and happy. We may be lonely and believe that another individual will complete our lives.
We may feel insignificant and think that one day, if we do something that wins the respect of others, we’ll finally be living the life we long for. We may think possessions will satisfy us and accumulate more of them. But all such things, even if we attain them, will leave our souls thirsty again.
God puts within each of us a longing for Himself – a longing only Christ’s presence in our lives can satisfy. At first consideration, though, a relationship with Jesus may hardly seem a likely solution for the gnawing emptiness we feel inside, so we may overlook Him. Consequently, we reject the “real thing” that can bring the relief we long for. And that elusive something we seek continues to elude us.
Why? Because they are not the real thing we crave. Only Jesus is the real thing. He still invites us, as He invited the Samaritan woman, to come to Him for living water – for the quenching of our spiritual thirst, for a drink of the real thing.
Jesus said, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
Jesus offers to fill up our lives with Himself, satisfying our deepest needs and longings. We don’t have to wait to come to Him. He is available right now to meet us where we are to quench our thirst. Jesus is the real thing.
TO GOD BE THE GLORY
By Bro. Paeng Santos
- 04/04/2011 12:03 - The death penalty in its many forms
- 04/04/2011 12:02 - 10 ways to get your marriage back on track.
- 04/04/2011 12:01 - Creation explained
- 03/04/2011 21:00 - The court of public opinion
- 03/04/2011 20:59 - Does your name determine your destiny?
- 03/04/2011 20:57 - Seven ways to be more approachable
- 01/04/2011 12:31 - Non-Muslim Sabahans spearhead Sabah independence
- 01/04/2011 12:31 - And now the aftershocks
- 01/04/2011 12:30 - Baltic Sea letter in a bottle found 24 years later
- 31/03/2011 23:33 - On tackling joblessness