Saturday, 16 April 2011 12:31
If there is anybody who wants peace more than anyone else, it is the soldier because he is the first to be sent to the frontline in a war.
For over four decades now, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has been embroiled fighting a two-pronged insurgency wars – the New People’s Army (NPA), the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) and the National Democratic Front (NDF) and the Moro rebels, initially with the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) and later with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).
With its hands full containing the communist and Moro rebels, the war on terror has cropped up. The AFP is now fighting three fronts the past 16 years.
It is estimated that over 200,000 have been killed in this internal conflict the past 40 years, not to mention the billions of pesos spent by the government during the same period that could have been spent to economic development and building infrastructures in various parts of the country.
In support of the peace process of the government, the AFP has launched simultaneously in all major military camps a new battle cry called “Peace Wall” where everybody is welcome to write on a specially constructed wall a one liner on his/her thoughts on the importance of peace.
The “writing on the wall” may yet propel a nationwide support to peace that has eluded the country for more than 40 years.
No other organization would like to see the signing of a separate peace accord between the Philippine government and the MILF and NDF soonest than the AFP, currently headed by Gen. Eduardo S. L. Oban Jr.
- 19/04/2011 21:16 - CONCRETE ACTION NEEDED TO STOP THE KILLINGS: An Open Letter to President Benigno Aquino III
- 19/04/2011 21:12 - A one of a kind Savior (Part 1 of 2)
- 18/04/2011 13:04 - Why sugar and corn prices are going up
- 18/04/2011 13:03 - How to break out of the 9-to-5 rut
- 18/04/2011 13:02 - Understanding alcohol
- 16/04/2011 12:21 - Five ways to torpedo your retirement
- 15/04/2011 11:00 - The enemies that we keep
- 15/04/2011 10:59 - Capone’s ghost haunts tax evaders
- 15/04/2011 10:58 - Are you ready for the peace train?
- 15/04/2011 10:58 - The five Best home remedies for snoring