Wednesday, 08 June 2011 12:48
The Palace maintains its position that the postponement of the ARMM elections so that it may be synchronized with the National Elections in 2013 is the most effective way to implement systemic reform in the region.
The ARMM has long been the target of development projects funded both by national and international entities, and yet its provinces remain the poorest in the country. Among the root causes of such a phenomenon is a local government that borders on the feudal, and which has long been empowered by national candidates intent on reaping command votes for the area.
And so the vicious cycle goes: national candidates feed their respective bets during ARMM campaign season, who, once they gain power, then ensure command votes for their patrons during national elections.
Synchronization will eliminate such venues for old-style, transactional politics. It will pave the way for clean, honest elections in the region, and help calm one of the hottest areas during national elections. Most importantly, it will finally allow development efforts to take root, and help ensure that basic services will be delivered to the people of the ARMM.
Postponing the ARMM elections so that it may be synchronized with the 2013 National Elections will also provide the government with a two-year window to pursue reforms in the region. It is of utmost importance that those at the helm during such a critical period be people of integrity and competence, unshackled by ambition and free from political debt, so that the true essence of democracy be felt and exercised by the people of the ARMM once elections ensue.
- 10/06/2011 13:01 - Are you stuck in a semi-happy marriage?
- 09/06/2011 13:02 - Irony
- 09/06/2011 13:01 - DND Sec. Gazmin at IISS, need experts like him!
- 09/06/2011 13:00 - Teachers orientation to Peace Education serves as inspiration
- 08/06/2011 12:48 - Peace is so near and yet so far
- 08/06/2011 12:47 - Vientos de Paz: Searching peace through music
- 08/06/2011 12:46 - Five signs he’s about to dump you
- 07/06/2011 11:58 - Cronyism in the Aquino government
- 07/06/2011 11:57 - Statement of Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Teresita Quintos-Deles on NDFP’s proposal to defer peace talks and demand to release consultants
- 07/06/2011 11:57 - Honor does not fit a fool