Friday, 16 December 2011 10:26
Mathematics plays a vital role in the lives of man. Every citizen should acquire competence and development of power in quantitative thinking and in the use of mathematics procedure in daily living. Educators of today face a lot of challenges on how to impart knowledge to pupils specifically in Mathematics because it deals with seemingly nebulous caverns of formulas, principles, laws, axioms, postulates and theorems that relate exhaustively with human life. Pupils and teachers encountered various problems which include difficult in solving mathematical problems, lack of understanding in mathematical terminologies and concepts, weak in problem analysis, lack of thorough mastery of the four fundamental operations are the determinants affecting the achievements and performance in Mathematics.
Grouping Scheme is one of the solutions to the problems in teaching and learning Mathematics today. Facts revealed that pupils have poor performance in Elementary Mathematics both local and national examination. I would like to share this modern approach “GROUPING SCHEME” to all teachers teaching Mathematics in the elementary grade. This is my research studies conducted one of the public schools here in Zamboanga City yielded a positive result preferably ensures improvement in the level performance of slow learners.
Implementing Grouping Scheme, the pupils were grouped according to abilities as fast learning group, average learning group and slow learning group. Grouping Scheme is only applied to the application phase of the lesson plan. The pupils were given various mathematical activities suited to their learning capabilities during the application phase. It gives better understanding of the subject matter and required active participation and maximum interaction to the group. However during the presentation phase, the subject matter or the concept will be presented to the three groups simultaneously.
Grouping pupils according to their level of intelligence develops interest, self confidence, positive attitude, improve skills, imagination, advancement, learn to love and appreciate mathematics in a simplest way that is suited to their abilities. Moreover, greater pupil-teacher interaction and maximum participation. Grouping Scheme will serve as a spring board to improve pupil’s level of performance and achievements particularly the slow learners and reduce the learning gap between the fast and slow learning group.
By Janet A. Bustillo
- 17/12/2011 00:00 - How about a Commission on Impeachment?
- 17/12/2011 00:00 - Chief Justice lambasting the President on impeachment is harmful
- 17/12/2011 00:00 - Do you know your child's learning style?
- 17/12/2011 00:00 - Praise the Christ of Bethlehem
- 16/12/2011 10:26 - ‘Coronarroyo Court’ under siege
- 16/12/2011 10:25 - Holiday declaration is executive function
- 16/12/2011 10:24 - PRESIDENT BENIGNO S. AQUINO III’s SPEECH DURING THE POLITICAL CAUCUS RE: ARTICLES OF IMPEACHMENT AGAINST SUPREME COURT CHIEF JUSTICE RENATO C. CORONA
- 15/12/2011 11:47 - Are we really on top of the situation???
- 15/12/2011 11:46 - The Christmas that has yet to come
- 15/12/2011 11:45 - SUMMARY OF THE IMPEACHMENT COMPLAINT VS CHIEF JUSTICE CORONA