Saturday, 31 December 2011 00:00
Media Statement - National Democratic Front
The recent environmental disaster in the cities of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan, which took the lives of more than a thousand people and rendered tens of thousands homeless, carries a most important and urgent message for all of us: Logging and large scale mining is dangerous and destructive. It will bring landslides and floods and kill a lot of people and destroy their livelihood.
Yet, as the people bury their dead today and try to recover from one of the worst floods in northern Mindanao, the mining company Xstrata-SMI has turned utterly deaf to all the sensible warnings and precautions as it continues to pursue its copper gold mining projects in the quadriboundary of southern Mindanao.
The bishops of Kidapawan, Marbel and Digos of the Catholic Church have also expressed in no uncertain terms their opposition to Xstrata’s Tampakan project: “facilities like fresh water dam and tailings dam will be constructed at the Mal River Catchment, but these huge storage facilities are directly under criss-crossing faultlines; and that the Tampakan mine has a high potential for loss of life and high environmental damage if a failure of Dams or Rock Storage facilities occurs...”
Aside from this, the company has also to address the question of denudation of forest lands particularly Bolol Lomot; the displacement of thousands of lumad families; the diversion of surface and groundwater for the use of the mine, the acid drainage, spillage, leakages, overflows and contamination of the natural water source; and the impending risk of a tailings dam failure or collapse. All these for the multinational Xstrata’s greed for profit.
This wanton destruction of our natural resources in FarSouth Mindanao is the precursor of another disaster similar to Cagayan de Oro and Iligan. We must act before it is too late. We must, at all cost, stop Xstrata-SMI from continuing with its gold and copper projects.
- 03/01/2012 13:42 - Corona should resign before it is too late
- 03/01/2012 13:42 - Why not a Bible verse for a New Year resolution?
- 03/01/2012 13:41 - The 10 most ridiculous lawsuits of 2011
- 31/12/2011 00:00 - A peaceful and prosperous new year
- 31/12/2011 00:00 - Zubiri’s resignation, two impeachment complaints top events in Senate in 2011
- 30/12/2011 20:26 - A star is rising in the East
- 30/12/2011 20:25 - Berdugo Palparan shattered AFP CMO
- 30/12/2011 20:18 - New plot to the Philippines-Japan migration story
- 30/12/2011 20:16 - Top 10 hangover foods
- 29/12/2011 13:23 - We will do better next year – Malacanang