Friday, 13 January 2012 00:00
The decision of the Court to grant TVI Resource Development (Phils.) Inc. a preliminary injunction against the Ordinance that would ban open pit mining in Zamboanga del Norte is a major victory for TVIRD as it can now continuously operate without worrying about possible local government action against its operations.
More importantly, it is a victory for the host communities and the indigenous peoples – the Subanons - as they will continue to enjoy all the benefits being provided by TVIRD.
To date, there is a groundswell of support against the Ordinance. The business community in Zamboanga del Norte, through the Mindanao Chapter of the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry, has already spoken against it. Close to 45,000 Subanons have already signed a petition against the Ordinance. Local officials have also called for a repeal of the Ordinance and have thrown their support toward TVIRD.
The injunction is the first step towards complete victory. TVIRD is now preparing for a legal battle to prove that this Ordinance is invalid and unconstitutional. We believe we are on the side of the law and we expect to win this.
(SGD) EUGENE T. MATEO
TVI Resource Development (Phils.) Inc.
- 16/01/2012 00:00 - Not all intelligence information should be kept secret
- 16/01/2012 00:00 - Ten surprising health benefits of beer
- 13/01/2012 00:00 - Rudy Bayot’s floral attraction
- 13/01/2012 00:00 - It’s time for Corona to cut and cut clean!
- 13/01/2012 00:00 - Jalosjos not worried of political opponents for Mayor
- 12/01/2012 11:39 - Fun is stored in the heart
- 12/01/2012 11:38 - Cooperation is the only option left against terrorists in Basilan
- 12/01/2012 11:37 - Favorable crime statistics can't overrule bad public perception
- 12/01/2012 11:36 - Flawed selection of and degraded Supreme Court
- 11/01/2012 12:13 - More good things to expect