Thursday, 02 February 2012 16:31
Agriculture is common sense but it is uncommon to most due to lack of interest and basic knowledge in farming.
There are ways to make land more productive by applying appropriate method that requires little additional efforts but that could be compensated with better productivity.
Let us take the case of a plant that is the easiest to grow called “Banana”.
In big plantations hard grounds are turned upside down by bulldozing it one meter deep to soften the soil after which tons of chicken dung are applied to fertilized it.
But in backyard planting of banana or in a small area we do not need to bulldoze it to prepare the ground.
We only need to cultivate the specific area to be planted by softening the ground say one meter wide and one half meter deep in hard ground.
The purpose is to accommodate suckers as the mother banana plant grows.
But before planting chicken dung or top or composted soil maybe mixed to fill the hole.
The number of suckers per plant should be controlled by allowing it to have only 2 or three while the mother plant is bearing fruit.
Extra suckers maybe removed for planting to other areas to avoid overcrowding that affects the quality of fruits.
- 03/02/2012 13:38 - Chief Justice honesty must be beyond suspicion
- 03/02/2012 13:37 - Media gag vs. prosecutors & defense
- 03/02/2012 13:37 - Life from the exotic malunggay
- 02/02/2012 16:33 - Will RP obey UN order on libel?
- 02/02/2012 16:32 - The slogan works both ways
- 01/02/2012 13:36 - Corona, Megaworld & SC 2004 decision
- 01/02/2012 13:34 - PTA Golf Course Beach sanitation has improved but...
- 01/02/2012 13:33 - The end of celibacy in the Catholic Church
- 01/02/2012 13:32 - Children ‘switching from TV to mobile internet’
- 31/01/2012 10:35 - Fame and Lucre – Supreme Kingmakers