Tuesday, 07 February 2012 12:01
For the past 21 years since the Philippine National Police (PNP), which is civilian in character and national in scope, was established in 1991, most of the local chief executives have not been fully aware of the provisions of RA 6975 or PNP Law and related provisions as far as the role of the governors, city and municipal mayors is concerned in the effective maintenance of peace and order.
What most governors, city and municipal mayors know is only the selection of provincial and city directors and chiefs of police.
Their powers to administratively and operationally supervise the local police units are more often than not unknown to most of them.
The reason behind why the local chief executives are given the general supervisory power over the organic policemen within their jurisdiction is because they are responsible for the over-all peace and order condition in their respective province, cities and municipalities.
The local chief executives have disciplinary powers over erring policemen such as admonition, reprimand, suspension of the peace and order council (POC). The mayors can formulate appropriate crime prevention plan with the help of the members that is attuned to the prevailing situation in their political jurisdiction in order to maintain a stable peace and order.
On the other hand, local chief executives' power over the local PNP units could be stripped from them on following grounds: (1) Abuse of authority (2) Giving aid to lawless elements (3) Neglect of duty (4) Abseteism among others.
There is a need for the DILG to conduct orientation and re-orientation of the provisions of the PNP Law as far as the powers of the local chief executives over the local PNP units are concerned.
- 09/02/2012 00:00 - Jalosjos decisive with strong political will
- 08/02/2012 11:50 - "Multum in Parvo"
- 08/02/2012 11:49 - Truth on “illicit relationships”
- 08/02/2012 11:48 - Facebook users ask, 'Where's our cut?'
- 08/02/2012 11:45 - Massages may yield surprising benefit for tired muscles
- 07/02/2012 12:01 - Miracle in the wings: Regaining RP for Pinoys
- 07/02/2012 11:58 - Subic coal plant getting permits by stealth?
- 07/02/2012 11:57 - Stuck in a bad dating rut?
- 06/02/2012 10:24 - Zamboanga City, a Bonsai
- 06/02/2012 10:23 - Regaining RP for Filipinos