Sunday, 26 February 2012 00:00
Archbishop Emeritus of Cebu Ricardo Cardinal Vidal has said the freedom gained 26 years ago after the People Power Revolution should continue to be guarded.
”What was gained should be protected. Or else we would lose this unused grace,” said Vidal.
”Now you are freely asking questions. We pray to god that we remain firm,” he told reporters Friday.
The four-day protest was a peaceful upheaval at the Epifanio del los Santos Ave. (Edsa) in Manila that occurred after series of events, including the declaration of Filipino bishops condemning the fraud committed during the snap elections.
In 1986, Cardinal Vidal was the president of the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP).
The CBCP issued the exhortation, “We must obey God rather than men.”
The bishops said the election was “unparalleled in fraudulence” and accused then president Ferdinand Marcos as “criminally using power to thwart the people’s sovereign will.”
”That (the Edsa Revolution) was the only time the Church was involved in a socio-political event,” said Vidal.
Vidal recalled that it was on Feb. 23, 1986 that he called the bishops to a meeting and suggested that they pray before they sign the pastoral statement.
”We had a holy hour to be strengthened,” he said.
”I told the bishops here is the choice between life and death, choose life. That was the topic for our meditation at that time,” he added.
Vidal also called on the people to pray over the current socio-political issue, the impeachment trial of Supreme Court Chief Justice Renato Corona.
”Let them (legislators) do their job. We are asking for prayers for successful ending to the proceedings,” said Vidal.
”We hope the truth comes out, justice is achieved and the common good of the people be served,” he added.
by: PNA DCT/EB/gb
- 29/02/2012 12:37 - Twelve quick fixes for your household things
- 29/02/2012 12:36 - Seven surprises about dating after 50
- 27/02/2012 00:00 - 6 of the Healthiest Fish to Eat (and 6 to Avoid)
- 27/02/2012 00:00 - “People power” and the Bible
- 27/02/2012 00:00 - 4 Planets & Moon Dominate Weekend Night Sky
- 26/02/2012 00:00 - Losing patience and endurance
- 26/02/2012 00:00 - Are you in the right job?
- 25/02/2012 12:18 - Latin and Chabacano
- 25/02/2012 12:15 - Substitution House Bill no. 4455
- 25/02/2012 12:14 - Church and people call for new mining law