Monday, 05 March 2012 13:33
THE NATIONAL UNION OF JOURNALISTS OF THE PHILIPPINES mourns the loss of one of the pillars of our media community, Philippine Daily Inquirer publisher Isagani Yambot.
We extend our condolences to his family and to the PDI even as we mourn his passing as deeply. Gani was a tireless advocate of press freedom and was a constant source of inspiration to us.
Notwithstanding manning the helm of one of the top newspapers in the country, he always found time to involve himself in campaigns for press freedom and to end media killings.
Indeed, Gani and his good friend and another source of inspiration, the late Joe Pavia were the Twin Pillars of the struggle for press freedom.
Despite the position he held and the esteem that went along with it, you could never see a more humble and gracious person than Gani Yambot. He would hobnob just as easily with reporters and photojournalists as he would with society's high and mighty. And he never flinched when confronted with the problems besetting Philippine media, not even if these were tied in to the interests of management and even the paper he worked for and loved.
If there is, perhaps, anything Isagani Yambot would have regretted leaving unfinished, it would undoubtedly be the unfinished business of seeing the time when genuine press freedom flourished in our country, when no journalist had to fear losing his life, limb or employment for pursuing the truth, when media owners were truly committed to the welfare and safety of their employees.
But this we promise you Gani. We will continue the good fight you fought alongside us. And we will not fail.
Mabuhay ka Isagani Yambot! Mabuhay ang malayang pamamahayag!
- 06/03/2012 12:47 - Isagani Yambot: A Legend (Media Statement - National Press Club)
- 06/03/2012 12:46 - Is Diet Soda Addictive?
- 06/03/2012 12:43 - The secrets of the world's healthiest women
- 05/03/2012 13:46 - What is power?
- 05/03/2012 13:44 - P3.8 B kindergarten fund going to waste
- 05/03/2012 13:28 - Time Capsule
- 02/03/2012 11:02 - INC and withdrawal of Corona charges
- 02/03/2012 11:02 - A new challenge to promote the spirit of dialogue and peace in the Archdiocese of Zamboanga
- 02/03/2012 11:01 - Youth perspective on the City Council
- 01/03/2012 11:26 - Taking sides in Sulu and Basilan