Sunday, 11 March 2012 00:00
The proportion of women occupying senior business posts in the Philippines ranked second-highest globally in 2011, a report by international accounting and consulting firm Grant Thornton showed.
Based on its International Business Report (IBR), Grant Thornton said Filipinas in key business positions grew to 39 percent last year from 35 percent a year earlier.
This increased proportion of Filipino women occupying leadership positions in business puts the Philippines second to Russia, along with Thailand and Botswana, in the list of countries with the highest percentage of women in the boardroom.
As with previous years, the survey looked into the roles women play in senior management. In the Philippines, the trend showed more female business leaders taking on responsibilities involving finance.
“This year, 64 percent of Filipinas in senior management were either chief finance officers or holding senior finance positions, up from last year’s 54 percent,” the report said.
The report pointed out that on a global scale, the proportion of women holding senior management posts has been on a steady decline since 2009.
Marivic Españo, managing partner and chief executive officer of Grant Thornton’s local partner Punongbayan & Araullo (P&A) said they were encouraged that dynamic economies were leading the pack in terms of welcoming women in the boardroom.
Tracking started in emerging markets such as Brazil, Russia, India and China (BRIC) and then Southeast Asia.
“So it is a point of concern to see the proportion of women business leaders shrinking in these countries. Hopefully this doesn’t signal a further drop-off in the coming years to the point where women are underrepresented globally,” Españo said.
She said that the falling numbers globally should alert business leaders and get them to start asking why women aren’t as present at the top of the ladder and what can be done about it. - By Ted P. Torres
by: Philstar News Service, www.philstar.com
- 13/03/2012 14:35 - Are you guilty of schadenfreude?
- 12/03/2012 11:15 - Catholics grooming Pacquiao for President?
- 12/03/2012 11:14 - Local opposition may remain minority for life
- 12/03/2012 11:13 - Job search rules to break
- 12/03/2012 11:11 - Ten fascinating facts about cats
- 11/03/2012 00:00 - PH improves in economic freedom ranking
- 11/03/2012 00:00 - Time Capsule: On church and mining
- 11/03/2012 00:00 - 25 Easy Ways to Cut 100 Calories
- 09/03/2012 12:55 - Is Corona morally fit for the job?
- 09/03/2012 12:54 - South China Sea – Asia’s Tinderbox