Friday, 30 March 2012 11:04
The Philippines is 30 years while others say 50 years behind in agriculture compared with the neighboring and other countries in the world.
The irony is that some countries in Asia learned their basic agricultural knowledge in UP Los Baños College of Agriculture.
Because of corruption 738 million pesos goes to the pockets of corrupt agriculture officials from the national down to the local regional offices in a fertilizer scam.
Some 4 billion pesos Swine dispersal program of QUIDANCOR but not a single piglet was distributed in Zamboanga City and other local government units because of the scam. Some QUIDANCOR officials have constructed big houses out of the swine corruption.
While some countries are already in a much advance stage in agriculture the Philippines is returning to the ancient times of carabao farming due to neglect and corruption.
It is further sad to note that most upland farmers still do not know up to now the better practices on fruit tree and crop planting that will contribute to a much better productions in a shorter period of time after planting.
Farmers who learned the best method in agriculture on their own initiative must share to other farmers both in upland farming and inland fishing in the absence of initiative coming from the local government units.
It will be recalled that the functions of the agriculture department have been devolved to the local government units (LGUs) under the local government code.
by Rex Miravite
- 31/03/2012 11:20 - April 1, 2012 marks arrival of Jesus in Jerusalem 2000 years ago
- 31/03/2012 11:19 - Sub-state again?
- 31/03/2012 11:18 - NUJP to DILG Sec. Robredo: Order a manhunt for Reyes brothers ASAP
- 31/03/2012 11:18 - Five fresh foods you shouldn’t keep in your refrigerator
- 30/03/2012 11:05 - How we help end hunger
- 30/03/2012 11:03 - Cojuangcos fully paid Luisita loans
- 30/03/2012 10:54 - Nine things never to say to your boss
- 29/03/2012 11:46 - What ‘noynoying’ is all about?
- 29/03/2012 11:45 - Timely boost for AFP defense of our national territory
- 29/03/2012 11:44 - Discrimination vs. PNPA?