Saturday, 14 April 2012 10:56
They’re the worst pick-up lines... and yet, these seemingly awful come-ons actually managed to charm women. It just goes to show you, romance is always full of surprises. Read on and pick up an idea or two, guys.
1. The corny-but-cute hello:
“This guy who was so not my style came over to me and my friends and asked: ‘Do you happen to know how much a polar bear weighs?’ We said ‘no’ and kept walking, and then he said, ‘Well, it’s enough to break the ice. Hi, I’m Brian.’ We all cracked up and kept talking to him.”
— Charity, 29, Cincinnati, OH
2. The line with artistic flair:
“I was shooting pool with friends, and some guys offered us a friendly challenge. Midway through the game, one of them looked at me and said, ‘Do you remember Crayola crayons? Well, they used to have this color called Blizzard Blue. It was my favorite color, and your eyes are actually Blizzard Blue.’ I thought it was so cute! He had me right there.”
— Erica, 21, Brunswick, OH
3. The overly confident come-on:
“I was at an office party when a guest of a coworker introduced himself and said, ‘Blueberries or strawberries?’ Confused, I asked what he meant, and he replied, ‘I just want to know what kind of pancakes to make you in the morning.’ He said it with such a straight face that it was like a scene in a funny movie. I didn’t eat breakfast with him, but I did give him my number.”
— Jan, 33, Cleveland, OH
4. The nonsensical approach:
“This random guy came up to me at a party, looked me straight in the eyes and said, ‘Baby, you’re sexier than socks on a rooster.’ I had absolutely no idea what he meant, but I thought it was funny and I liked how unusual it was. It got us talking, trying to figure out what that line meant!”
— Holly, 19, Milford, OH
5. The mom-approved intro:
“I was at a local bar one night, and this guy sat next to me and said, ‘Would it freak you out if I said that I’ve already told my mother about you?’ I said, ‘No, why?’ Then he told me that he’d actually stepped outside, called his mother and asked her how to approach me. I thought it was adorable that he was a mama’s boy.”
— Michelle, 25, Erie, PA
6. The “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em” method:
“I fought tooth and nail with a guy over a parking space and won. When I came back out to my car, there was a note on it that said, ‘I like your style. Call me.’ It was very unexpected, and I loved the approach. See, it pays to be a lover and a fighter.”
— Lynn, 36, Boston, MA
7. The win-her-with-flattery strategy:
“This poker party I was at started to get very crowded. As a group of girls walked in, this guy came up behind me and said, ‘I think you’re going to be asked to leave soon. You’re so pretty, you’re putting all the other women to shame.’ I tend to be very shy, so his compliment really helped crack my shell.”
— Katie, 31, Chicago, IL
(Matt Christensen has written for Maxim and The Cleveland Plain Dealer. The best line he’s ever used was, “Hey, if I kiss you, will I get slapped?” He did kiss the girl in question, but he didn’t suffer for it afterward. For the other side of this story, read The worst pick-up lines of all time.)
by Matt Christensen
- 15/04/2012 00:00 - PH, China agree on peaceful resolution in standoff
- 15/04/2012 00:00 - What he’s thinking…but won’t tell you
- 14/04/2012 11:02 - Why not go nuclear?
- 14/04/2012 11:00 - Using “pork” for other purposes is a crime?
- 14/04/2012 10:58 - Monopoly of Power Industry (Media Statement - NDFP)
- 12/04/2012 12:18 - 2010 Census Affirms Our Stance and Confirms Our Fears
- 12/04/2012 12:17 - Shooting incidents co-terminus with officials' tenure?
- 12/04/2012 12:16 - Third World War near RP shores?
- 12/04/2012 12:12 - The 100th Anniversary of the Titanic: 10 things you didn’t know
- 11/04/2012 10:33 - Zamboanga 'killing field' City