Tuesday, 21 March 2017 12:15
City Legal Officer, Atty. Jesus Carbon yesterday warned Jail Warden Chief Insp. Ervin Diaz that he could be cited for contempt if he refuses to accept inmates in the jail facility.
Carbon was reacting to earlier reports quoting Diaz as saying that the Zamboanga City Reformatory Center can only accommodate 2,500 prisoners.
According to Diaz, the capacity of the jail facility is already overcrowded and can only facilitate 80 more inmates.
“El losdemas preso puede anay esta na maga selda del pulis,” Diaz said in an interview.
Mayor Maria Isabelle Climaco - Salazar also asked Diaz to put in writing his concerns so the city government can act on it.
“We cannot also tell the police to stop doing their job or stop arresting people if they commit crimes,” Climaco said.
At present, Climaco said, the city government is looking for a site for the construction of a new jail facility.
The BJMP has already appropriated P194 million for the construction of a new jail facility in this city. The city government will provide the lot where to build the said facility.
“We are already negotiating for the acquisition of the property,” Climaco said.(Nonong Santiago)
- 22/03/2017 12:15 - City jail dental mission set today
- 22/03/2017 12:15 - Two men busted in buy-bust ops
- 22/03/2017 12:15 - Local price council convenes
- 21/03/2017 12:15 - DepEd reiterates ‘no collection’ for school-end rites
- 21/03/2017 12:15 - Beng satisfied with outcome of traffic scheme’s first day
- 21/03/2017 12:14 - Five persons nabbed in ‘double barrel reloaded’
- 21/03/2017 12:07 - Neighbors rob neighbor
- 21/03/2017 12:07 - Man stabbed from behind
- 21/03/2017 12:06 - Basilan landmine blast kills coconut farmer
- 20/03/2017 18:34 - Traffic scheme dry run in west coast starts today