My Google Page Rank

Military rescue 2 Abu Sayyaf Indonesian hostages in Sulu

PDFPrintE-mail

Fleet-Marine Forces of the Joint Task Force Sulu, Western Mindanao Command (WestMinCom) have rescued two Indonesian kidnap victims on Indanan, Sulu.

In a statement, Rear Admiral Rene Medina, commander of Naval Forces Western Mindanao, said Sarapuddin Koni and Sawal Maryam were recovered in Barangay Buno at around 6:30 p.m. Thursday.

The two rescued Abu Sayyaf kidnap victims were among the seven Indonesian sailors abducted in waters off Merabong near Kunak district, Sabah in November last year.

According to Admiral Medina, elements of the Philippine Marine Ready Force Sulu, Marine Battalion Landing Team 1, Marine Battalion Landing Team 3, Marine Intelligence Division, Sulu and Headquarters Support Company rescued the 2 Indonesian nationals following an encounter with troops.

He said a 30-minute firefight ensued that left five bandits dead and five soldiers wounded. Soldiers recovered three high-powered firearms from the slain bandits in the clash site.

Brig. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana, Joint Task Force Sulu commander, said troops engaged the bandits led by Abu Sayyaf sub-leader Idang Susukan, one of the most wanted men in the Philippines who are involved in kidnapping activities in Malaysia.

The military tagged Susukan for the abduction of seven Indonesian sailors in waters off Merabong near Kunak district, Sabah in November last year.

"The two rescued Indonesian fishermen were now confined at government hospital for medical checkup and they will undergo custodial debriefing," Sobejana said.

The military's Western Mindanao Command said four Vietnamese, five Indonesians, a Dutch man and four Filipinos – remain in the hands of the Abu Sayyaf group. Hader Glang




Related news items:
Newer news items:
Older news items:

Add comment


Security code
Refresh