My Google Page Rank

3 Abu Sayyafs, 7 NPAs surrender to WestMinCom


Three more Abu Sayyaf members have surrendered to the military in Tipo-Tipo, Basilan, acording to an Army spokeswoman.

In a statement issued Wednesday, Capt. Jo-Ann Petinglay, spokesperson of Western Mindanao Command (WestMincom), said the latest ASG surrenderees also laid down their M16A1 rifle, a Garand rifle, and other war materiel.

She said Karim Abubakar, Jimboy Abubakar Aldam, and Imran Arajan Abdulajidz, members of Abu Sayyaf Group subleader Nurhassan Jamiri yielded to the troops of the 4th Special Forces Battalion, Special Forces Regiment-Airborne, Special Operations Command in Barangay Banah, Tipo-Tipo, Basilan at 4:45pm Tuesday, February 13.

"The surrender of the three bandits comes in the midst of the sustained operations in Western Mibdanao for the pasy two days," said Petinglay.

Brigadier General Juvymax Uy, commander of the Joint Task Force Basilan, said the returnees are currently at the headquarters of the 4SFBn in Barangay Cabunbata, Isabela City, Basilan undergoing a custodial debriefing.

As of this report, the Armed Forces' WestMinCom has facilitated the surrender of 177 Abu Sayyaf members since 2017.

For this year alone, there are 19 Abu Sayyaf members who surrendered to the Joint Task Forces in the area of responsibility. Of this record, nine yielded to the military in Basilan, eight in Sulu, and two in Tawi-Tawi.

Meanwhile, seven Communist-New People's Army-terrorists under a certain Mac-Mac surrendered to the military troops in Maguindanao last Monday morning, February 12.

The returnees were identified as Godus Sintaw, 36; Arnel Dimantukay, 21; Donie Diwan, 28; Ghagha Ansag, 25; Danilo M8ngkay, 25; Larry Ugalingan, 34; and Jimmy Ulangkaya, 34.

Turned-over by the surrenderees were a 7.62mm M14 rifle, two M1 Garand rifles, a homemade M16 sniper rifle, a Springfield rifle, a Caliber .38 revolver, a hand grenade, and a landmine.

Major General Arnel Dela Vega, commander of the Joint Task Force Central, said that the returnees were also made to undergo custodial debriefing and medical check up upon their surrender.

“We have them medically checked in order to make sure that none of them is ill. If ever there are medical conditions that need attention, we will automatically have these treated while they are under our care.”Since January 1, 2017, troops have already facilitated the surrender of 146 CNTs in WestMinCom’s Joint Area of Operations.

From January this year to date, a total of 42 CNTs surrendered to the troops.

“We had been receiving and processing so much surrenders since last year up to the first quarter of this year,” said Lieutenant General Carlito G. Galvez, Jr., commander of the Western Mindanao Command.

"Most often, our units are the ones being contacted by those who wish to lay down arms. This development largely reflects our intensified operations against the ASG and the CNTs, not only on focused military operations (FMO) but also on the Community Support Program being implemented by our troops in the entire command,” added Galvez.

“Our units are gaining a headway and have been effective in convincing the these former rebels to change their lives and have a chance to be good citizens of the community," he added

The military said WestMinCom will sustain their intensified operations against all the enemies of the state, and that it will take all means neccessary to put an end to the terror menace. Hader Glang

Related news items:
Newer news items:
Older news items:

Add comment

Security code