My Google Page Rank

100K children get measles shot

PDFPrintE-mail

Some 100,000 children have been vaccinated in the city’s response immunization drive against the measles outbreak, the City Health Office reported.

The citywide non-selective vaccination reached 100,247 children, which is 87% of the total target population of 121,928. The outbreak response was initially held from February 19 to March 28, but was extended until April 13 to reach the 95% target coverage.

As of April 12, 343 suspected measles cases have been reported. No new mortalities have been recorded.

However, despite the decreasing cases of measles the past weeks, the city is still on outbreak level, City Health Office OIC Dr. Dulce Miravite said.

“Our cases have been decreasing, but we’re still reaching the epidemic threshold, so we’re still in outbreak status,” Miravite said.

Miravite explained that for the outbreak status to be lifted, there must be zero measles cases for four consecutive weeks.

The outbreak response drive also went back to communicate and coordinate with families who initially refused the immunization. Miravite said half of the 2,002 who refused submitted themselves for immunization during the extended outbreak response drive.

The health office attributes this to the continued effort and commitment of CHO and its partners on information dissemination and health education.

“We came back, and we explained again the importance of immunization,” Miravite said.

Meanwhile, the CHO is also closely monitoring the dengue cases in the city.

Based on CHO data, dengue cases for the first quarter of 2018 have been significantly lower (266 cases) compared to the first quarter of last year (581 cases).  For April 2018, 13 cases have so far been reported. (Jasmine Mohammadsali/PR)




Related news items:
Newer news items:
Older news items:

Add comment


Security code
Refresh