My Google Page Rank

Eight Dawlah Islamiyah-Maute remnants surrender in Lanao

PDFPrintE-mail

At least eight Dawlah Islamiyah/Maute members and a suspected bomber affiliated with Islamic State (IS) surrendered in southern Mindanao,  military officials said.

The milltants gave up to the troops of Joint Task Force Ranao in Pagayawan in Lanao del Sur province on Tuesday,  October 09, 2018, Lt. Col. Gerry Besana,  spokesperson for the Armed Forces' Western Mindanao Command (WestMinCom), said in a statement.

The Maute remnants, according to Joint Task Force ZamPeLan commander Maj. Gen. Roseller Murillo, are dwindling with their organizational leadership and capabilities.

"We encourage others to follow suit and encourage them to submit themselves to the government forces," said Murillo.

According to Besana,  another DI/Maute member voluntarily surrendered last Sunday, October 07, 2018, through the joint intelligence efforts made by 103rd Brigade and the intelligence units.

The surrenderer was identified as Addul Mashounry Gamama a.k.a Wawi, a Dawlah Islamiyah-Maute group member.

He was turned over by Butig, Lanao del Sur Mayor Dimnatang Pansar at the Headquarters, 103rd Brigade in Kampo Ranao, Marawi City.

The military tagged Gamama as among those suspected terrorists in the foiled US Embassy bombing in Manila last November 28, 2016.

Those seven Maute surrenderors were identified as Mamao Alyodan, Oden Sangcopan, Salahudin Manan, Alexander Amerol, Nora Udasan, Allan Amerol, and Patak Sangcopan.

The militants also yielded three M1 Garand Rifle, one Carbine, four caliber 45, and one 9mm pistol. They were then brought to the Headquarters of 55IB in Madalum, Lanao del Sur.

"The surrender was successfully facilitated by the 55th Infantry Battalion in coordination with various stakeholders and as a result of the ongoing Community Support Program (CSP) in the Province of Lanao del Sur," said Besana.

Murillo,  meanwhile, commended the troops and expressed his heartfelt gratitude to the stakeholders for their support in this recent accomplishments.

“Task Force Ranao now reaps the fruit of the ongoing Community Support Program in Lanao Del Sur,” Murillo said quoting Lt. Gen. Arnel Dela Vega, commander of the Western Mindanao Command, as saying in a statement.

“This success is a result of the combined efforts of the troops, the local government units and the populace in the joint battle against terrorism.”

It’s been more than a year since the Maute group laid siege to Marawi City, Lanao del Sur, where the war had been declared over after a 5-month fighting that saw the decimation of terrorists in the battlefield, the military admitted the government cannot rest on its laurels.

The military believes that possible remnants and supporters of the terrorist group and other local terrorist groups continuously recruiting for new members to launch a future attack similar to what happened to Marawi City last year.

The Marawi siege began on May 23, 2017 when IS-inspired local militants, the Mautes backed by Abu Sayyaf took over large parts of Marawi City. This prompted President Rodrigo Duterte to declare Martial Law in Mindanao.

The fighting between the government state forces and terrorists had left much of the city in ruins, killed over a thousand combatants and civilians, and displaced hundreds of thousands of residents.

The extended military rule continues to be in place across Mindanao giving the military a freer hand to stop and arrest suspects until the end of the 2018. Hader Glang




Related news items:
Newer news items:
Older news items:

Add comment


Security code
Refresh